Rosh Hashanah Recipes and Crafts
Rosh Hashanah (the head of the year) - Tishrei 1-2 - is the beginning of the Jewish
year. Rosh Hashanah begins the ten days of self examination and repentance before Yom Kippur.
At the synagogue, the shofar (a trumpet made from a ram's horn) is blown. Traditional
foods are challah, apples dipped in honey to symbolize the coming sweet year, fish heads to symbolize success
(to be at the head and not at the tail) and pomegranates that symbolize fertility because of their many seeds.
Greeting cards for the New Year (H: Shana Tova) are sent to friend and family.
Rosh Hashanah Recipes
7 cups flour
1 1/2 cup cold water
2 packages of dried
1/3 cup warm water
3 eggs + 1 for glazing
1/2 cup oil
1 tablespoon sugar
Sesame or poppy seeds
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and sugar and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Mix the yeast, eggs, oil, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add flour and water a little at a time and knead well until the dough is elastic.
- Cover the dough and leave in a warm place to rise for 4 hours until almost double.
- Part to 3 balls of even dough, roll them to make three long rolls, pinch the tips of the three of
them together and braid them. Pinch the ends together. If you want to make a round Challah, roll the
braded dough in a shape of a snail.
- Place the challah on a greased pan and let rise for another 1 hour.
- Brush the top of the Challah with egg and sprinkle sesame or poppy seeds.
- Bake in medium heat of 350 F for 40 minutes until golden brown.
Kids love to make their own personal Challah. They can top it with any
combination; chocolate chips, nuts, M&Ms, small candy, raisins, sprinkles, etc.
Minced Fish Patties - Gefilte Fish
Ingredients for fish patties:
Matzo Meal to knead
1 kilogram of ground Carp
2 ground onions
3 ground carrots
1 ground celery root
1 uncooked egg
Pinch of pepper
1 teaspoon of sugar
teaspoon of salt
Ingredients for sauce:
Head of Carp fish
2 cut carrots
1 teaspoon of salt
Pinch of pepper
Preparation for fish patties:
Preparation for sauce:
- Mix all ingredients and add Matzo meal so you can knead the fish patties.
- Put all the ingrediates in a large pot, with enough water that the fish head is completely covered.
- Boil the water.
- Add the fish patties, if necessary, they can be in two layers. Make sure the water covers all the
- Boil again and lower the heat to minimum.
- Cook for 2 hours.
- Take immediately out of the water: the fish patties, fish head, carrots and onions, when they are
done. Keep the sauce separately.
- Arrange in a pan and refrigerate for 24 hours. You can add sauce on top of the fish when serving
and decorate the fish with carrots and onion rings.
Chicken Soup With Vegetables
1/2 chicken cut to pieces
Celery root or 4
stalks of celery
1 bunch of parsley
6 peeled carrots
tablespoons of instant chicken soup powder
A pinch or two of ground pepper. Use white pepper if
1 tablespoon of salt
- Clean the chicken and remove the skin and as much of the fat as you can.
- Put the chicken in water in a large pot and add all the ingredients.
- Wash all vegetables.
- Cut onions and carrots. Cut the Zucchini tips.
- Add the celery root (in one piece) or celery stalks and the bunch of parsley. Keep the parsley in
one bunch using a string.
- Add salt, pepper and instant chicken soup powder.
- Cover with water and boil, lower the heat and cook for an hour on medium heat.
- When ready, take out the celery root or the celery stalks and the parsley bunch. Serve the soup
with chicken and vegetables.
Meat Dumplings - Kreplach
Ingredients for dough:
2 cups of flour
2 egg yolk
1/2 cup of water
1/2 teaspoon of salt
Ingredients for meat filing:
1 tablespoon of breadcrumbs
1 chopped large onion
1 cup of cooked ground meat
2 cups of oil
teaspoon of salt
A pinch of ground pepper
- Knead the dough and cover with a towel.
- Prepare the filling: fry onion and meat for a short time. Add all the filling ingredients.
- Knead the dough again and roll the dough flat until it is very thin.
- Cut to squares of 2.5 inch (6 cm). Put 1 teaspoon of filling in the middle of each square.
- Wet the edges of the square and fold one corner of the square on the opposite corner to make a
triangle and pinch all around each piece.
- Cook the dumplings in boiling water with a pinch of salt. for 15 minutes.
Beef Patties - Ktzitzot
1 lb (0.5 kg) ground beef
2 dry bread slices
3 celery sticks
2 carrots optional
A pinch of salt
A pinch of ground
A pinch of garlic powder
Ingredients for sauce:
1 cup of
1/3 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of ground parsley
Pinch of ground
Pinch of garlic powder
- Grind the celery, onion, and carrots in food processor.
- Drain the excess water.
- Wet the bread, drain the water out.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Knead to make beef patties.
- Cut onion to small squares and fry in a pan.
- Add beef and fry the beef patties on both sides.
- In a large pot arrange the beef patties.
- Mix all sauce ingredients with water to cover the beef patties. Put a little sauce then one layer
of patties, add some sauce and lay the second layer of patties. You may need a third layer.
- Bring pot to boil and then cook on low heat for 1.5 hours.
Potato Dumplings - Gnocchi
2 lb (0.5 kg) potatoes
1.5 cups of flour
- Clean the potatoes and cook with the skin in a pot until soft.
- Peel the skin and mash in a potato ricer.
- In a large bowl mix the mashed potato, slat, eggs and flour to make dough. Add flour until the
dough is not too sticky but not too dry also. Don’t put too much flour.
- Spread some flour on a flat surface.
- Roll the dough to long snack like thin rolls and cut small pieces of dough.
- With a fork press on the piece to make a little indentations.
- Drop the pieces of dough into salted boiling water and cook until it floats.
Poppy seed cake
Ingredients for cake:
4 ounces (about 100 gr.) of poppy seeds
8 ounces (about
200 gr.) of sour cream
1 ¼ cups of flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 ¼ cups of
4 ounces (about 100 gr.) of unsalted margarine
1/4 cup of milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Ingredients for chocolate glazing:
(about 100 gr.) of semi bitter baking chocolate
2 ounces (about 50 gr.) of powdered sugar
ounces (about 50 gr.) of unsalted butter
2 table spoons of hot water
1 teaspoon of vanilla
Preparation of cake:
Preparation of chocolate glazing:
- Soak poppy seeds in 3/4 cup milk 2 hours.
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Bake in the oven in 350 degrees F for 50-60 minutes. The cake is ready if you stick a toothpick in
the middle of the cake and it comes out dry.
- In a double boiler boil water.
- Put all the ingredients and melt while mixing.
- Spread on the cake when the cake cools down.
Rosh Hashanah Kids Crafts
1 cup of Flour
1 cup of salt
- Mix the salt and flour.
- Add a little water at a time to the mix of flour and salt until ready to knead, but not too dry or
- You can add food coloring to the dough.
- Sculpt the dough and bake in oven in 200 degrees Celsius until it hardens. Check after 5 minutes.
These instructions are for flat sculptures, if you make a big sculpture, the length of the baking could be
much longer even up to an hour.
- To wear or to hang, put a hole at the top of the sculpture.
- You can color with watercolors paints after the dough has cooled.
Ideas for Rosh Hashanah sculpture: an apple, a dove, or challah.
Stuffed Round Challah
2 pairs of panty hose (nylon tights)
Tissue or newspaper stuffing
Needle and thread
Large round decorative laced paper
- Cut each pair of panty hose in two. We'll need a total of 3 legs.
- Tie one end of each panty hose leg.
- Stuff each pantyhose leg with tissue or newspaper. The tissue is easier to stuff.
- Tie all three stuffed pantyhose together.
- Braid them together. (For braiding you can refer to the diagram of the challah braiding earlier on
- Coil them tightly and tuck the ends under them.
- Sew them in place under the Challah.
- Put the large round decorative laced paper in the basket and put the Challah on it.
Family Rosh Hashanah Greeting Card (Shana Tova)
Family member pictures
- Draw a house with the number of windows that corresponds with the number of your family members.
Use a ruler.
- Cut the windows: cut the top horizontal line and the bottom horizontal line but not the vertical
- Cut the middle of the window so you can fold half the window left and half right to make flaps.
- Glue another construction paper the same shape and size under the one with the cut windows.
- Glue pictures of the family in the windows or draw them.
- Write a Shana Tova message on the outside card, such as on the roof.
Rosh Hashanah Greeting Card - Word Pomegranate
Red Felt Tip Markers
- Fold the rectangle construction paper to make a card.
- On the outside fold, lightly sketch a big pomegranate shape outline with a pencil.
- With a red marker write in small letters sentences or words that are connected with Rosh Hashanah
such as: Happy Rosh Hashanah, Have a sweet year, Pomegranate, etc.
- Carefully erase the outline.
- On the inside fold write a Rosh Hashanah greeting.
You can also make an Apple Word greeting card.
- Print the Dove template.
- Cut the outline of the Dove and along the black lines.
- Fold the Dove in the middle along the dotted line.
- Cut out the wing, fold in half, and fold back along the dotted line. Glue the small part between
the middle and the dotted line and glue on the Dove's body in the middle between the 2 black dots on the
- Cut out the tail and fold along the dotted line. Glue to the backside of the Dove.
- Punch 2 small holes on the back of the Dove and run strings through the holes so you can hang it.
If you want to hang through a chandelier you can use longer strings.
Blue and white construction paper
- Take a large blue construction paper and fold it.
- Use a ruler to mark lines, from the bottom folded part almost to the top page, but not all the way,
and leave 1 inch (about 2.5 cm) not marked.
- Start the makes 2 inches (about 5 cm) from the left and leave 2 inches not marked on the right.
- Cut along the marked lines.
- Cut 1 inch (about 2.5 cm) wide, long strips of different shade of blue and white construction
- Weave them between the strips of the large blue construction paper.
- Cut the edges of the long strips so they are the same length.
- Glue the edges.
- The best way to protect the placemat is to laminate it in a copier store so it can be used for many
Flat smooth small rocks
- Clean the rocks and dry them.
- Paint the rocks as fish.
- Glue googly eyes.
- Glue feathers as tails.
- Decorate the table.
Paper Mache Apple Sculpturing
School liquid glue
- Dip strips of newspaper in glue and put them on top of each other to make a basic shape of a fruit.
- If you want a ball shape you can inflate a balloon and glue the strips of paper to the balloon. You
will need at least 3 layers of paper to hold the shape, but after 2 layers leave to dry.
- After the basic shape of the apple is ready you can add smaller shapes with little pieces of paper,
such as a leaf. After about 2 days when the paper sculpture is dry, you can paint it with watercolors.
You can also make a Pomegranate for Rosh Hashanah.