Shavuot Recipes and Crafts
Shavuot is a Jewish holiday that is celebrated on the sixth day of the Hebrew month of Sivan (late May or
Shavuot is the Festival of Reaping of the first fruits of the harvest (Bikurim).
parade with flowers in their hair, wearing white clothes and carrying decorated baskets full of fruits.
products such as milk and cheese are served at the traditional holiday meal.
Cheese Crepes (Blintzes)
1 cup of flour
2 cups of water
teaspoon of salt
1. Mix all the ingredients in a blender.
2. Oil a non-stick
frying pan and put it on the stove on medium heat.
3. To make each crepe, pour a quarter cup of the
mixture into a pan. Tilt the pan from side to side to spread the mix.
4. Cook for 2-3 minutes on
5. Turn the crepe with a spatula when the edges of the mixture turn up and fry it
6. Put on a plate, fill it and roll it.
8 ounces (240 gr.) of smooth cream cheese
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Mix all ingredients and put a full tablespoon in each crepe.
Mushrooms in Béchamel Sauce Filling
7 ounces (200 gr.) sliced mushrooms
a small diced onion
3 tablespoons of margarine or butter
3 tablespoons of flour
1 cup of milk
teaspoon of salt
a pinch of white pepper
1. Melt the margarine on low heat.
2. Add salt, pepper and the
flour slowly while mixing the margarine.
3. Add milk slowly while mixing until the mixture is smooth.
4. Cook on low heat for another 5 minutes while mixing until it becomes a thick sauce. This white sauce is
called Béchamel sauce.
5. Fry the diced onion and the sliced mushrooms in a separate pan until
6. Mix most of the Béchamel sauce with the fried mushrooms and fill the crepes.
7. Leave a little of the sauce to spread on the rolled crepe.
For quick and fun crepe filling the kids can use jam, chocolate spread, Nutella, or even ice cream. They can
also add their favorite toppings such as chocolate chips, raisins, and/or chopped walnuts. These can go inside
or on top.
For not-so-sweet filling, the kids can spread cream cheese.
Cheese and Spinach Casserole
1 lb. (450 gr.) of chopped spinach
1 lb. (450 gr.) of Cottage
1 cup of grated Monterey Jack or similar semi-hard cheese
Salt and pepper to taste (I
make it with none)
3 tablespoons of plain breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
2. Mix all the ingredients. Drain the spinach to remove excess water.
3. Grease a pan or a casserole
4. Bake in the middle oven rack for an hour or until golden brown.
Triangle Cheese Cake (non-baked)
7 ounces (200 gr.) of unsalted butter or margarine
1/2 cup of
1 cup of smooth cream cheese
1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
30 large plain
1. Melt the margarine on low heat in a saucepan.
2. Mix the
sugar and the cream cheese in a bowl.
3. Slowly add the melted margarine to the sugar and cheese
while mixing it.
4. Add Vanilla Extract.
5. Use 15 biscuits for the first layer. Lay them
in 3 long rows of 5 biscuits on wax paper.
6. Spread a thin layer of the cheese mix on the
7. Dip the other 15 biscuits in milk. Careful not to dip them too long or they will
8. Place a layer of biscuits on top of the cheese.
9. Put the rest of the
cheese on top of the middle layer of biscuits.
10. Pick up the paper to bring the outer rows over
the middle row and make a triangle cake and hold the top edges of the paper with clips tightly so the cheese
11. Refrigerate for two hours until the cake is solid.
12. Open the paper and
spread chocolate frosting on top.
Shavuot Kids Crafts
Flower Paper Crown
Colored construction paper
- Cut out a very long strip of construction paper 2 inches (about 5 centimeters) wide. It should wrap
around the child's head, leaving a little extra room for stapling.
- Cut different shapes of flowers in different sizes and colors.
- Cut many green leaves.
- Staple a small flower on medium flower and then on a large flower.
- Surround with leaves.
- Staple each flower on the long strip that will fit on the head.
- Cover the staples on the inside of the crown with Scotch tape so they will not scratch the head or
if you want to be extra careful, glue the flowers and the leaves.
- Careful when you place the flowers and leaves so they will not cover the kids' eyes or face. Place
them so they are not going too far out of the bottom of the crown.
Paper Mache Pomegranate Sculpturing
School liquid glue
- Dip strips of newspaper in glue and put them on top of each other to make a basic shape of a round
Pomegranate. If you want a ball shape you can inflate a balloon and glue the strips of paper to the
balloon. You will need at least 3 layers of paper to hold the shape, but after 2 layers leave to dry.
- After the basic shape is ready you can add smaller shapes with little pieces of paper to make the
"crown" of the Pomegranate. After about 2 days when the paper sculpture is dry, you can paint it with
You can make any other fruit with the same basic instructions.
Paper Flowers / Science Experiment
Large & small round coffee filters
Water based markers including black
Cup of water
Green Pipe Cleaners
- Draw a design around the middle of the coffee filters but at least half an inch (about 1.25
centimeters) from the middle and an inch (about 2.5 centimeters) from the edge or top. Draw with different
designs and colors on each one. At least one should be drawn with a black marker.
- Poke a hole in the middle of the coffee filters.
- Use one of the coffee filters as a wick. Roll it tightly and insert in the middle of the coffee
- Put the coffee filter with the wick in on top of the cup and the bottom will be in the water so
that the water will sip up the colored coffee filter. Don't put too much water just enough to soak part of
the wick. The water should change the colors of the markers and spread them around. It will take longer
for the water to sip up a large coffee filter. The coffee filter with the black markers should soak the
water and show different colors. The different colors that you see on the filter paper demonstrates that
black is really a combination of colors.
- Set your paper some place safe to dry. Be careful because it is very thin and easy to tear.
- When dry, pinch the middle of the coffee filter and tie a pipe cleaner to the middle to make a
- Add another green pipe cleaner at the side to make a leaf.
You can put a small colored coffee filter inside a larger one, and pinch both in the middle with a pipe
cleaner to make a layered flower.
You can put the flowers in a vase.
30 Popsicle sticks
- Arrange 5 Popsicle sticks parallel to each other, horizontally, with a little space between each
- Place 2 Popsicle sticks over the other sticks at a 90-degree angle, so they are vertical, and glue
them so they are holding together all the other Popsicle sticks. This makes a grid and the bottom of the
- Repeat stages 1+2 for the cover of the crate.
- Make 4 more grids that will be the sides of the crate. Each one will use 3 Popsicle sticks
horizontally and 2 half-sticks to be glued vertically.
- Leave to dry completely.
- Glue the 4 sides together to the bottom.
- Place the top part of the crate without gluing it.
- Decorate the top part with the felt tip pen. You can write: "Made in Israel", "Fragile", etc.
Shavuot Word Pomegranate
Red Felt Tip Markers
White Construction Paper
- On a drawing paper, lightly sketch a big Pomegranate shape outline with a pencil.
- With red marker write in small letters sentences or words that are connected with Shavuot, such as:
names of trees and flowers, Happy Shavuot, etc. You can repeat the words.
- Carefully erase the outline.
- Mount it on the construction paper.
Paper Family Tree
White, brown and Green construction paper
- Obtain small portrait family pictures of your grandparents, parents and siblings. You can add your
- Cut green leaves and glue the pictured on them.
- Cut out a big brown tree. Have two thick and large branches on the bottom, two in the middle,
smaller than the bottom ones, and the last two branches a bit smaller on the top. You will have 6
branches, three on the right and three on the left, larger in the bottom and smaller on the top.
- Glue one pair leaves with the of grandparents pictures on the bottom right branch, another pair of
grandparents on the left bottom branch.
- Glue your parents on the middle branch.
- Glue yourself and your siblings on the top branch.
- You can glue your pets at the base of the tree or next to yourself.