Shavuot Recipes and Crafts
What is Shavuot?
Shavuot is a Jewish holiday that is celebrated on the sixth day of the Hebrew month of Sivan (late May or early June).
Shavuot is the Festival of Reaping of the first fruits of the harvest (Bikurim).
Kids parade with flowers in their hair, wearing white clothes and carrying decorated baskets full of fruits.
Dairy products such as milk and cheese are served at the traditional holiday meal.
Tune in to our
Hebrew Lesson 37
(Right Click, Save As)
Cheese Crepes (Blintzes)
1 cup of flour
2 cups of water
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1. Mix all the ingredients in a blender.
2. Oil a non-stick frying pan and put it on the stove on medium heat.
3. To make each crepe, pour a quarter cup of the mixture into a pan. Tilt the pan from side to side to spread the mix.
4. Cook for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
5. Turn the crepe with a spatula when the edges of the mixture turn up and fry it lightly.
6. Put on a plate, fill it and roll it.
8 ounces (240 gr.) of smooth cream cheese
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Mix all ingredients and put a full tablespoon in each crepe.
Mushrooms in Béchamel Sauce Filling
7 ounces (200 gr.) sliced mushrooms
a small diced onion
3 tablespoons of margarine or butter
3 tablespoons of flour
1 cup of milk
1/2 teaspoon of salt
a pinch of white pepper
1. Melt the margarine on low heat.
2. Add salt, pepper and the flour slowly while mixing the margarine.
3. Add milk slowly while mixing until the mixture is smooth.
4. Cook on low heat for another 5 minutes while mixing until it becomes a thick sauce. This white sauce is called Béchamel sauce.
5. Fry the diced onion and the sliced mushrooms in a separate pan until golden brown.
6. Mix most of the Béchamel sauce with the fried mushrooms and fill the crepes.
7. Leave a little of the sauce to spread on the rolled crepe.
For quick and fun crepe filling the kids can use jam, chocolate spread, Nutella, or even ice cream. They can also add their favorite toppings such as chocolate chips, raisins, and/or chopped walnuts. These can go inside or on top.
For not-so-sweet filling, the kids can spread cream cheese.
Cheese and Spinach Casserole
1 lb. (450 gr.) of chopped spinach
1 lb. (450 gr.) of Cottage cheese
1 cup of grated Monterey Jack or similar semi-hard cheese
Salt and pepper to taste (I make it with none)
3 tablespoons of plain breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
2. Mix all the ingredients. Drain the spinach to remove excess water.
3. Grease a pan or a casserole dish.
4. Bake in the middle oven rack for an hour or until golden brown.
Triangle Cheese Cake (non-baked)
7 ounces (200 gr.) of unsalted butter or margarine
1/2 cup of sugar
1 cup of smooth cream cheese
1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
30 large plain cookie biscuits
1. Melt the margarine on low heat in a saucepan.
2. Mix the sugar and the cream cheese in a bowl.
3. Slowly add the melted margarine to the sugar and cheese while mixing it.
4. Add Vanilla Extract.
5. Use 15 biscuits for the first layer. Lay them in 3 long rows of 5 biscuits on wax paper.
6. Spread a thin layer of the cheese mix on the biscuits.
7. Dip the other 15 biscuits in milk. Careful not to dip them too long or they will become soggy.
8. Place a layer of biscuits on top of the cheese.
9. Put the rest of the cheese on top of the middle layer of biscuits.
10. Pick up the paper to bring the outer rows over the middle row and make a triangle cake and hold the top edges of the paper with clips tightly so the cheese won't run.
11. Refrigerate for two hours until the cake is solid.
12. Open the paper and spread chocolate frosting on top.
Shavuot Kids Crafts
Flower Paper Crown
Colored construction paper
Paper Mache Pomegranate Sculpturing
Strips of newspapers
School liquid glue
You can make any other fruit with the same basic instructions.
Paper Flowers / Science Experiment
Large & small round coffee filters
Water based markers including black
Cup of water
Green Pipe Cleaners
You can put a small colored coffee filter inside a larger one, and pinch both in the middle with a pipe cleaner to make a layered flower.
You can put the flowers in a vase.
30 Popsicle sticks
Felt Tip Marker
Shavuot Word Pomegranate
Red Felt Tip Markers
White Construction Paper
Paper Family Tree
White, brown and Green construction paper